[UPDATE: It may be useful to browse these old listings as many programs are annual, but for more current contests and competitions, head to the Youth Opportunities page.]
Every weekend I post about current youth opportunities that are open to submissions from Ontario residents, which includes many contests and competitions open to youth across Canada and the US. Please note I'm not attesting to the legitimacy or quality of anything listed here - read the fine print carefully and make your own judgement call, especially if a submission fee or creative rights are involved!
For those in the Toronto area, the 50th Canada-Wide Science Fair is on this week and is open to the public on Friday from 9am until noon. Unfortunately I can't be there on Friday morning, but if you want to have a look at what young minds from across the country had on display this year, the fair is at the Newnham Campus of Seneca College. Check cwsf.youthscience.ca for more details.
I just have one new opportunity to list this week, but there are a bunch of deadlines coming up soon in May and June!
Anthology for Signature Editions - Out on a Limb: Short Plays by New Writers
• Open to Canadians who are studying playwriting at a Canadian post-secondary institution
• Deadline June 30, 2011
According to a recent e-bulletin from Pat the Dog Playwright Centre in Waterloo, Signature Editions is looking for short, complete plays (ten mintues to one hour) for this new anthology. Only hard copy submissions are being accepted, so email anthology editor Kit Brennan (kbrennan _ at _ alcor.concordia.ca) for more information.
Previously Highlighted Youth Opportunities
- AMAPCEO Secondary School Student Essay Contest (Full-time Ontario secondary school students: 05/17/11)
- 2011 Ontario Youth Summit on Sustainable Transportation(Ontarians 19+: 05/20/11)
- Robert Bateman Get to Know Contest (Canadians 19 and under: 05/23/11)
- Operation Unplugged (Canadians 18+ attending full-time higher education in the fall of 2011: 05/27/11)
- TDSB@CNE - Busker for a Day/Stage Performers (Toronto District School Board students: 05/27/11)
- The James Bartleman Aboriginal Youth Creative Writing Award (Ages 18 and under: 05/31/11)
- The Fraser Institute Essay Contest (High school & post-secondary students: 06/01/11)
- TDSB@CNE - Student Art Show (Toronto District School Board students aged 11-14: 05/03/11)
- Historica-Dominion Institute's Great Questions of Canada Essay Competition (Students ages 17-25: 06/30/11)
- BMO Team of the Week Contest (Adult rep of Cdn youth soccer teams, ages 7-12: 06/30/11)
- Business Wire's 50th Anniversary College Video Contest (US & Cdn post-secondary students: 07/15/11)
- Toronto Youth Food Policy Council - Call for Journal Articles (Writers under 19: 07/15/11)
- Mississauga Library - Kathleen A. Hicks Historical Writing Award (Youth 14-19: 08/15/11)
- My Parks Pass - Canada's Ultimate Family Adventure (Open to Grade 8/Secondaire II students residing in Canada : 09/02/11)
- The 90-Second Newberry Film Festival (09/15/11)
- Toronto Chapter of The Awesome Foundation for the Arts and Sciences (15th of each month) or find other chapters of the Awesome Foundation