Saturday January 8, 2011
[UPDATE: It may be useful to browse these old listings as many programs are annual, but for more current contests and competitions, head to the Youth Opportunities page.]
After a rather long holiday-induced hiatus, I've finally made a return to the Saturday round-up of opportunities for youth. I focus on opportunities that are open to Ontario youth, although many are open Canada-wide. If you've missed the previous round-ups, scroll to the bottom of the page to browse previously mentioned youth opportunities that are still open to submissions.
Toronto Fringe - TD Bank Youth and Artist Outreach Coordinator
• Toronto-based position for someone aged 30 or under
• Deadline January 20th, 2011 by 5pm
The Toronto Fringe Festival is hiring a part-time Youth and Artist Outreach Coordinator for a 40-week contract to take the lead on several outreach programs and assist with others. According to the jobs section of the Fringe Toronto website, the position is "available to emerging arts administrators who are still developing their careers and are interested in further training".
Toronto Fringe - TD Bank Young Producer
• Toronto-based position for someone aged 26 or younger
• Deadline January 22nd, 2011 by 5pm
Also from the jobs section of the Fringe Toronto website comes a 24-week full-time paid internship opportunity for a "bright, energetic, ambitious, young producer-in-training". Along with other projects, the selected candidate will produce the reading on the last day of the festival that showcases the winning script from the 24 Hour Playwriting Contest. (A contest I participated in back in aught nine).
United Way - The Creative Institute for Toronto's Young (CITY) Leaders
• Young leaders 18 to 24 years old from a priority neighbourhood
• Deadline January 31st, 2011
This leadership education program can lead to a co-certificate in leadership from United Way Toronto and the University of Toronto's Faculty of Social Work. Applicants to the CITY Leaders program must "work or volunteer at a community-based agency, project or initiative in one of Toronto's underserved communities", and live within one of 13 priority neighbourhoods.
Food Secure Canada - Good Food Hero Comic Contest
• Canadian students from Kindergarten to grade 12
• Deadline March 1st, 2011
Youth across Canada are invited to submit a one-page color comic exploring at least one of three "good food" themes - food that is healthy, sustainable or fair. Submissions to the Good Food Hero Comic Contest will be divided into three age categories with one First Place winner for each. The top ten entries in each category will be printed in a Good Food Hero Comic Book.
Toyota Earth Day Canada Scholarship
• Canadian students entering their first year of full-time post-secondary studies
• Deadline January 31st, 2011
The Toyota Earth Day Canada Scholarship is an entrance scholarship that "encourages and rewards graduating Canadian high school students who have distinguished themselves through environmental community service, extracurricular and volunteer activities, and academic excellence." Twenty awards worth $5000 will be given out for the 2011/12 academic year.
December 11th Youth Opportunities
• The Fraser Institute Essay Contest (June 1st, 2011)
• The James Bartleman Aboriginal Youth Creative Writing Award (May 31st, 2011)
• Olive Garden - Pasta Tales Essay Contest (January 21st, 2011)
• Kaleidoscope Real World Video Challenge (March 31st, 2011)
December 4th Youth Opportunities
• National Shakespeare Youth Festival (Registration open)
• The Poetic License Contest for Youth (Jan. 15th, 2011)
• Everyday Heroes Festival - Video (March 1st, 2011)
• The Great EcoKids Challenge (April 29th, 2011)
November 27th Youth Opportunities
• Sprockets Film Festival Youth Jury Call (Feb. 11, 2010)
• Sprockets Film Festival Jump Cuts Film Submissions (March 7th, 2011)
• Santa Monica Teen Film Festival Submissions (March 4th, 2011)
November 20th Youth Opportunity News
• TD FEF Go Green Challenge (Jan. 21, 2011)
• Canon Envirothon (Deadlines by region)
October 20th Youth Opportunity News
• Weston Youth Innovation Award (Feb. 14, 2011)